Thursday, September 22, 2011

Recount blog prompt

Decisions are hard to make. Why are they? I didn't understand. I didn't know. Should I? But why should I? Why was it a sacrifice that was worthy? Why? I pondered. I took a few seconds to filter it through my mind. "Here, quick." I whispered as softly as the purr of a cat. I knew I would regret this decision...

It all started out in the morning. My close friend Ian had come up with a outrageous request. I was his close friend, and the class knew the "power" he had. We all wanted to get into good books with him. He had a particular charisma of which could get people to follow him. I have had enough examples of class discrimination by him. Nonetheless, I treated him as a good friend, because I believed that he was a nice guy. Silly I was. He came to me discreetly that morning. He asked me for help. Thinking that it was just asking me a Chinese question regarding the class test later, I accepted immediately. But it wasn't what I thought it was. He asked me to allow him to copy my answer during the test. I was stunned. He may be my good friend, but should I? I told him that I needed the toilet. Then ran out.

 I was split between the 2 decisions. To help or not? If I didn't, he would have spread rumors of how "nice" I was to turn him down. But if I did, I would have been acting against rules, and even my own guiding principles of black and white. I splashed some water on my face, looked myself into the mirror. I had a decision to make. A hard one in fact. I told myself that I should not do so, but then the thought of getting discriminated and ostracized scared me. I went back, still thinking, but when I talked to him, for some reason, I said, “Ok”.
As the paper was given and we started attempting the questions, I found the paper a piece of cake, quickly finishing half of it by the first 30 minutes. I took a quick glance at Ian, struggling he was. Just moments later, he started knocking his pen on the table, out of irritation, I turned to him and stared, only to see him pointing to page that was totally blank, asking me for the answers. I thought, and stunned, for a few seconds, and passed him the paper, “Here. Quick,” I whispered. I used my question paper as a cover, to think that the invigilator would not realize. Yes he didn’t, but it was the head of department that was making her rounds that did. “Hey! The two of you!” Her alarming voice broke the fragile silence of the class, heads turned to the back door to look at her, with the exception of 2.

I was filled with guilt, this sacrifice for him was not worthy in any sense. I stood with my heads facing the ground, thinking and regretting my actions. And here went my test results, and my reputation. I didn’t know how am I going to face my parents when they get informed. Why did I only think of pleasing him, and making him happy, resulting in myself making such a grave mistake and sacrifice? It was not worthy. At all. 


P.S. This incident is NOT true.

No comments:

Post a Comment